Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oh the joys of the internet.

Okay so. A few weeks ago I joined a roleplaying group on deviantArt, because as we've already established, I'm a huge dork. It's set in this fantasy world and blah blah. Now, I suppose I am rather a snob about writing-things, because a lot of the more active characters are really ridiculous. Mind you, these are almost all teenage girls doing this. So a whole lot of really stereotypical fantasy girls. I swear there's like at least five pet wolves. And not only are the characters pretty uninteresting, but the way they roleplay is just..argh.. Everyone has their own agenda, which is fine, but they don't have much in the ways of interaction. Everyone is so predictable. And each post is so goddamn long, because even if they only say one sentence aloud, or something, they have to go through at least a whole paragraph of inner monologue to get to it. Everything is so dramatic. Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm still a part of it. Probably hoping there are some more interesting people off in the wings - the only super-active people have the most annoying characters - and I'll be able to do interesting things with them.

One of my friends joined to troll; her character is almost seven feet tall and basically a Lovecraftian monster underneath his many layers of purposefully-ridiculous clothing. He has four pairs of horns. I was once stuck in a really really boring situation with two other characters - I swear, the girl who opened was walking herself to death in her intro, and then me and the other person came along and put her on the other person's horse and had AN HOUR OF SMALL TALK AND WALKING TOWARDS A NEARBY CITY, and I kept trying to inject strange bits of conversation but they basically didn't notice at all and kept having their paragraphs and paragraphs of inner monologue - so she swooped in to save me, and had her character walk out of the bushes and greet my character, who knows him, and the other two's reactions to him were hilariously dumb. Basically just "-waits to see her reaction to make sure he's a good person-". And of course she said hello rather cheerfully and they relaxed, even though they'd only known her about five to ten in-character minutes, and all they knew about her was that she'd recently gotten her throat slit in a bar fight (which they'd casually waved off), and HE LOOKS RATHER SCARY. So off in IM we were both just headdesking the whole time.

My friends and I, who all joined thinking it would be fun and quickly realized that all the active members kind of suck, have been making a sport of logging on to watch the roleplay happenings and making fun of them. A few jewels: A character having sex with another character and then, the next morning, feeling relieved because she had been wearing her lucky contraceptive bracelet what the fuck; the same character (or rather, her player) getting upset that a sexist guy had ignored her challenge to fight and going off for a couple of days ('four months', by her count, though it confused everyone because they were running on a closer-to-real-time calendar) and changing her character completely, from name to appearance to personality to abilities, chalking it all up to the character's experiences of dying after touching a wolf statue and being brought back to life but now soulbound to the wolf-statue-demon-thing and we don't even really know; anything that involves that one stick-skinny chick who was practically in love with the douchebag (until he got a girlfriend) because, we think, her player went through all the characters and decided that he would make the best love interest (the douchebag is played by one of my friends, and apparently the skinny chick had been stalking her - or her character - for a while, because of this fascination with the character as a potential boyfriend); any time the clique of regulars roleplays, because everything between them is so goddamn dramatic.

I really shouldn't be complaining. I accidentally made a female alien Aladdin character for a DnD campaign. (Stfu she is cooler than Aladdin.) Also, my character for this group on dA is basically a version of me who does not have my inhibitions and self-esteem issues, and despite having a shittier past than me is much happier. Also she can make fire. Talk about living through fiction.

Okay done with my geek-rant (for now).

(I'm pretty sure I was trying to make a point somewhere in here, but I seem to have lost it along the way. Ignore this post.)

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment