Sunday, June 13, 2010

Phoenix, follow-up.

Oops, forgot to post this last night. This was yesterday's post, cross-posted to the Lovianart blog.

...

Well, it's done.



...

Copy-pasted from the deviantART description, because I don't feel like rewriting it:

"So after a rather stressful series of events across this week, discussed in the above blog posts, here is the finished product. This ended up being a commissioned piece for an art auction as part of a charity event for..some group of people who are uh..something to do with American-Chinese doctors? Um..establishing connections between the countries..something-something. I'm not exactly clear on it. I should probably figure it out.

"I finished and mounted it this morning - it's in a black shadowbox - and we went to deliver it in the afternoon. They ended up giving it a starting bid that I think is..absurdly high, but what can you do. I'm not good at selling my own art, so whatever. They're doctors. They have money.

"Anyways, the first version of this was a mask. Same colors and form, slightly different shape. I'll probably take better photos of that and post it too. Part of a new project I'm working on, which involves..making a bunch of cool-looking masks. Simple, right?

"People are trying to prod me into making a few more of these and selling them. Should I?"

...

Guh. So I got four hours of sleep last night, because I stayed up painting until two thirty; while working on the gold rachises (I had to look up the plural of that word), I realized that I was falling asleep and that I was starting to screw them up pretty badly, so I decided to go to bed. Told my mom, who had fallen asleep on the couch watching me work, to wake me up early so I could finish it, so she took that as an invitation to shake me awake at six thirty this morning. -headdesk-

After we mounted and everything, it was twelve, and I wanted nothing more than to stumble back home to bed. But we had to deliver the thing. So my mom and I drove into Boston to the Holiday Inn where the function was to take place. Got there around one forty-five, and it turned out June-the-organizer - my mom taught a business class of which June was a student, so that's how they know each other - wasn't going to be there until two. (It was kind of funny; the area was on the top floor, and the regular elevators weren't going there yet because it hadn't started, or something, so we ended up having to take the service elevator. It's a magical back-of-the-hotel conveyance with dirty floors and broken mirrors, where cleaning staff throw trash while making their rounds.) Shitloads of traffic, the arrival of several volunteers and committee members, and about forty-five minutes later, she showed up. Blah blah figuring out where to put it when Michelle-the-floor-manager arrived ten minutes after June; many Chinese doctors telling me that I am extremely talented while I kind of just stood there embarrassed; the organizers and my mom setting the starting bid way too high dear lord, but June says people will definitely buy it so whatever, maybe Chinese doctors like spending money; wandering around checking out the setup for the conference; helping the student-volunteers-from-prestigious-schools-in-the-area with things like gift bags for VIP guests, one of them took a class on 3D modeling so I talked to him about that for a while, that was cool.

Then we left, around four, before the event actually started.

Then we went home and I slept until dinner at seven thirty.

Today was kind of an adventure. I still think it was priced too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment