Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thought I had nothing to talk about, then rambled about movies for an hour.

Nothing tonight. Here, watch videos instead.



I love that remix. And I just can't stop myself from watching every Toy Story 3 trailer or clip or teaser or whatever that I can find. You have no idea how psyched I am for this. (Hint: Very psyched.)




I'm excited for this movie. It seems that almost all the movies I get excited over are kids' movies, or at least movies that kids can reasonably watch. Movies PG and below.



The only non-kids' movie I am looking forward to at the moment is Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, which looks great. (Last ones were 9 - I think we all know how much that one let me down - and Avatar - fucking beautiful as long as you weren't looking for a rich story full of non-visual depth, and the 3D kind of sucked for the first half-hour.) I love the comic-book effects. And Michael Cera has the market cornered on awkward-guy-with-hot-girl.

Hm, that makes me think about the movies I've been excited for this past year. Hm. (I'm going all of 2009, and up to now 2010.)

Up - Obviously; do you know me yet, or what?
Coraline - Neil Gaiman fan, Henry Selick fan, stop-motion fanatic. Another duh.
Watchmen - The graphic novel is awesome. The movie, less so. But the effects were pretty. The lighting was so dramatic throughout the entire fucking thing. Kind of cool. My favorite part was probably the opening credits, though, when it was like slow-motion photos from the past.
Where the Wild Things Are - AHHHHHHHH such a good movie. Loved it. Loved it so much. It was like childhood..as a movie. Saw it at midnight with Danny and Jen and Sarah and Ross, back when I actually hung out with them. It was funny; the entire theater was filled with college kids.
The Princess and the Frog - It was pretty and nice, but not Disney-Renaissance-quality in my opinion. The pacing was off, I think.
9 - WHAT A FUCKING DISAPPOINTMENT. My classmates and I were all riled up for that movie. The trailers presented a good premise and made the visuals look good. We were..let down. It was the first time I've ever considered walking out of a movie theater, but I'd spent twelve-fifty on the ticket (ugh, the city), so I didn't want to waste the money.
Avatar - Saw this both in 2D and 3D. Glad I saw 2D first, because I spent the first half-hour in 3D holding my stomach, occasionally looking away from the screen, trying not to puke. It made me extremely motion sick. Even after that passed, I still think the 3D wasn't very impressive. But there's one thing to say about Avatar: It was gorgeous.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Okay, so Harry Potter has moved into the realm of past-loves, I think. I used to be fucking obsessed with it. Now I quietly enjoy it. I am in the middle of re-reading the books because I was bored and though it would be fun. Christine and I watched A Very Potter Musical (watch it, it's amazing) for like the third time together today, and have been screaming quotes to each other in the empty house. (We also read My Immortal, the worst greatest fanfic ever in loud voices, spelling errors included, to the confused amusement of my brother.) But I'm not the huge fan I used to be. I will still see the last movies, of course. But I won't be flipping out about it. (We reserve that for animated movies now. Lol..I'm devolving..)
Waking Sleeping Beauty - An SVA screening; Peter Schneider and Don Hahn were there WHOOOOO if you don't know who they are you are obviously not an animation geek. It's documentary on the Disney Renaissance. Tom and I skipped art history to see it; so worth it.

Movies I wasn't initially pumped for but saw anyways.

Monsters vs Aliens - I was not excited for this, because DreamWorks had yet to impress me, but I saw it anyways. In my opinion, a huge obnoxious DreamWorks movie like the rest.
How to Train Your Dragon - Though I was at first teaser just expecting another cute-but-annoying DreamWorks movie, I started getting kind of worked up about it when people started seeing it and saying it was awesome and the best movie of theirs ever. I saw it; I loved it. Definitely their best so far.
Shrek 4 - Well okay, I haven't seen this yet. But I will. I'm not running to the theater, though, because in my opinion Shrek should have ended a long time ago. The first one was good. But apparently the fourth is better than the third, so that's something. (I really shouldn't have such a low standard for DreamWorks; they're one of the companies I really want to animate for, after all..)
District 9 - Wasn't excited about it, because I didn't really know anything about it, but I got it from the school film library and watched it. SO GLAD I DID. It's a great movie. Such a better alien plot than Avatar. Even though..it's totally a different thing.
Sherlock Holmes - Saw it with Danielles. I loved the music in it. The movie itself was pretty good too.
17 Again - DON'T LAUGH AT ME I watched it on the plane to Europe last summer, there was nothing else to do. It was..I don't really remember much from it. Zac Efron does that weird thing where his eyes get all wide..I dunno. He probably does that in all his movies. It's like Jackface in Lost.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Not bad. I rather like the X-Men movies, but I'm not obsessed with them. I wish I had read the comics, though.
The Hangover - Everyone kept going on and on about how great it was, so finally I borrowed the DVD from Tom. It was a really crappy DVD, taken in the theaters on a bad camera with bad sound, and I think he said he bought it on a street corner for a dollar or something like that, but it was still hilarious.
Julie and Julia - Saw it with my parents. (Yeah I watch movies with my parents, don't laugh. Shut up.) It was cute.
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - Eh, what can I say. I already gave a kind-0f-review of it on this blog. It's..Sony. Sony is vying for more-obnoxious-than-DreamWorks, and hey, with HTTYD, and hopefully staying on this track, Sony will get their wish, I guess.
Surrogates - I heard it wasn't that great, so I watched it from the film library. I dunno, I thought the premise was cool, and I rather liked it actually. But it wasn't like WOW BLEW ME AWAY kind of movie.
The Invention of Lying - School screening. Hey, free movie with the producers talking about it afterwards? Oh let's totally go! It was a cute movie. Pretty funny concept.
Zombieland - Okay this was a great movie, I have to say. I didn't see it while everyone was getting hyper about it, but later. Don't remember who I saw it with.
Shutter Island - I thought this was pretty good. SPOILER: It had a Sixth Sense ending, basically, but I really liked his last line, something like: "Would you rather live as a monster, or die as a man?" as they took him off to be lobotomized.

Movies I still haven't seen.

Star Trek - Don't kill me, guys. I want to see it. I just haven't yet. I've never seen Star Trek anything; gimme some time to get to it.
The Hurt Locker - I don't know what it is, I still haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire either. (Although I have that one on my external hard drive, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.) For some reason I don't watch many of the Best-Picture-winning movies before they win. Or..after, apparently.
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - I'm still not sure what I think of Blue Sky Studios. But anyways, I have that one on my hard drive too, just haven't watched it yet.
Brüno - Not a surprise; I didn't watch Borat until last..October or November or something.
Ponyo - I like Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, but I just haven't seen it yet. Looked kind of weird, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of upset that mini-Cyrus and mini-Jonas are the main character voices. Guh. But I'll see it. Just not now. I heard it was good, if a bit weird. (All Miyazaki movies. Duh.)
Inglourious Basterds - Hearing mixed things about it. Used to keep hearing OH LOL IT'S GREAT, but then later more of Oh it's okay yeah sure.
Paranormal Activity - Everyone was talking about it for a while. I might see it, might not. I'm not big on horror films.
2012 - Heard it sucked.
Fantastic Mr Fox - Kind of want to see it, but kind of putting it off. I mean, one reason why I loved Coraline was the beautiful smooth stop-motion. Mr Fox is deliberately choppy, and I don't know yet if I like that.
Planet 51 - I know I should see this because I'm going into the industry, but..it looked kind of dumb.
Up in the Air - I heard it was really good, and it won Oscars. I just haven't seen it.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - I want to see this.
Alice in Wonderland - I had mixed feelings about seeing this; Tim Burton is only good half the time. When Jen (from home) visited during her spring break, we were going to go see it, but we ended up seeing Shutter Island instead. I've heard extremely mixed things about Alice.
Splice - Okay so it may just be that I've been seeing ads everywhere, but I kind of want to see this.

Movies coming out soon that I want to see.

TOY STORY 3 - I really don't need to say anything more.
The Last Airbender - Okay, so I loved the show. One thing that really makes me angry at Avatar the movie is that I can't talk about the show anymore without people thinking I'm talking about the movie. Anyways. Not many Asian people are in the cast, which is..weird.
Despicable Me - Looks like it should be amusing. And it's my field.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Already talked about this up there.
MegaMind - The next DreamWorks movie.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I - I think it's kind of funny that they're doing it in two parts. It's not even the longest book. Oh well.

Okay I'm on four three minutes left of battery power on my laptop and the only charger in the house is in another room with a sleeping person in it, so I'm going to wrap this post up.

OH ALSO I'M REALLY SAD I MISSED TOY STORY AND TOY STORY 2 WHILE THEY WERE 3D IN THEATERS. To date, I have not seen a Pixar movie in 3D, and I really want to. I saw Up twice (or was it thrice?) in theaters, and both (all?) times, they weren't showing it in 3D. MOVIETICKETS.COM EVEN SAID IT WOULD BE IN 3D. MOVIETICKETS.COM IS OBVIOUSLY A FUCKING LIAR. I plan to see Toy Story 3 on Friday with Christine and maybe also dude AND IF IT'S NOT IN 3D THEN I WILL STRANGLE EITHER THE THEATER OR MOVIETICKETS.COM.

I thought I was going to write a 'I don't have anything to say so watch some Youtube videos' post, and ended up listing movies for over an hour. Sheesh. Good night.

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment