Monday, September 6, 2010

SAVE ME. (Although that is beside the point of what I'm trying to tell myself in this entry..)

Here are the problems with being a sophomore and living in a single.

(Ah, but Olivia! you cry. You spent a good part of last year whining and moaning that you wished to live alone! Two days after your wish has been granted, you start listing problems? You fickle bitch! Worry not, dear reader. The solitary dorm life is all that I wanted. I only do this because yesterday was such a shock of social happiness, and today is comparatively dead.)

There is nobody to tell you what to do. There are no nervous clusters of freshmen being herded around orientation week by loud upperclassmen - or at least no longer in your world. There are no obnoxious social events, organized so that aforementioned nervous freshmen might meet some people so as not to be alone in a large and terrifying city, to attend. And because I have a single, there is not even someone to talk to.

I was probably better off with the events and the suitemates, even if I do not get along well with social situations. I need to learn how to be the kind of person who can just go out and make friends, instead of sitting nervously inside and hoping that the world will just barge in or go away.

I need buddies. I like to tell myself that I function pretty well as a loner, but sometimes being alone is really terribly boring. I need to contact friends from last year and say LET'S DO SOMETHING LET'S GO SOMEWHERE LET'S JUST HANG OUT instead of twiddling my thumbs and hoping someone else will initiate. I need someone to talk to.

And this is why I can't wait for class to start.

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment