Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Movies and video games and things.

They didn't say much; the other candlesticks, the dishes, the utensils, the brooms. We weren't all servants, you know, not in that sense. When the curse settled on the castle those years ago, it gave them life. They were foolish, like children. They didn't know how to think on their own, and so they could be commanded. It wasn't fair, really. Because when she came, and the spell was cast away, so were they. They went back to the way they'd been before - motionless, mindless, lifeless - and I was left companionless. Again.

I watched Beauty and the Beast again. Also Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas, which I thought I'd never seen before, or at least not more than a few parts long ago, but I kept getting I-remember-this-part moments. I'd totally forgotten about the CGI organ, but when I saw him I immediately though 'Wait, he's in this movie?' like I'd had nightmares or dreams or thoughts of him before. (Now I realize; his face is eerily similar to that of the magic mirror in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. I believe I have found the reference!) Also, the 'As Long As There's Christmas' song, and that little ornament Angelique, are really really familiar now that I've seen them again.

I think I've only seen this movie once other than today, and that a long time ago. Christmas specials - for shows or movies that exist on their own - kind of piss me off most of the time. (Except for the Star Wars one; that was just hilarious / painful, and I only watched the first ten minutes or so.) Some of the made-for-Christmas movies, though, I like, if only because of nostalgia. Like the stop-motion Frosty and Rudolph and those. Also Olive the Other Reindeer - actually, I love that one. Now I want to watch it again. That one's adorable.

...

So, another movie I saw recently is Moulin Rouge!, on Saturday. It's pretty goofy, but I kind of adore it. Admittedly, I seem to have developed a strange infatuation with the songs, especially the love songs. Such a silly and pretty and sad movie. Ewan McGregor has perhaps the most sincere smile in the world. I mean seriously, look at it. He looks so fucken happy.







Don't make fun of me. I just really like musicals..

...

Been playing Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon the last couple of days. Such a fun game. But so mean. It's a strategy game; you get units that do different things in combat, and you send them into battle and tell them what to do. Unfortunately, if one dies in combat, he or she dies forever. No more that-character. The problem is, it gives each character a name and face and personality and background, and when they die they say depressing things, and it makes you feel guilty for not protecting them, so you turn off the game and restart the battle from the last save point, and keep doing it until you get it right. It makes you think about strategy a whole lot, because not only do you want to win the battle, you want to keep Cain alive so he can seek vengeance for his fallen comrades; and you want to keep Caeda alive because even though she's kind of a liability most of the time, she and Prince Marth are in love; and you want to keep Wolf alive because you already let three of his four companions die and you feel bad about it, so even though he's not as good as some of your other units, you have to be nice to him; and so on. And early on in the game, somewhere back there in the prologue, when Prince Marth was escaping the castle after the enemy invaded, you had to send out one of your men as a decoy, so the enemy units would not pursue you - this was part of the plot, so it had to be done - and it took you five minutes to decide who to send because you felt like you would be betraying him, and your main reason for sending Frey instead of Cain was that Cain had already been through so much and you didn't want him to die after escaping the enemy's forces in battle and bringing Prince Marth his father's last dying wish.

Or at least, you do all this if you're me. If you're weird and pathetic and empathize with video game characters.

...

If you were to build a prison, would it be a dungeon deep underneath the earth or a tantalizing tower in the sky? Was Rapunzel fortunate for having a breath of fresh air, or was it a tease?

...

Being sick is lame. Good night.

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment