Sunday, February 21, 2010

Why a single apartment will be good for me and my personality.

I am not a confrontational person.

When I got back, I noticed that my window was closed. I always keep it open, so I knew it had to be that someone had entered my room while I was away. I had been thinking about locking it, because I'm usually an extremely private person when it comes to my personal space, but I didn't. And now my window was closed.

I asked Sarah whether she'd done it - I was curious; I wasn't about to go bitching - but she hadn't been in my room. I figured it was probably Jen, because out of my three suitemates, Jen is most the kind of person to..I don't know. Intrude? Not really the right word. But she's most likely to do something in order to get what she wants. I guessed they'd probably felt the air coming in from my room, into the common area. But she wasn't around, so I couldn't ask her. So I sat here on my bed and thought about why it bothered me that someone had been in my room, and closed my window. I thought about what I'd say to her if it turned out that she was the one. Just a gentle, please-don't-do-that-I-like-my-room-cold-and-I-like-my-personal-space, something. I took out the second bit; it felt weird.

I found her a few minutes later, and she admitted to closing the window because it had been cold. And then..I said Okay, no problem, and retreated back into my room.

Maybe I just didn't want to seem intolerant. The other girls have much more vague boundaries; they're in and out of each other's rooms all the time. Maybe I didn't want to seem strange. An intrusion is not really a big thing. Maybe I didn't want to isolate my roommates further with a simple request. Sometimes little things can be blown out of proportion.

I plan to get a single apartment for next year. It's really the best thing for me. There are advantages to having roommates, but they're mostly little conveniences, and I'm a hermit. I will do a bit extra - buy the paper products whenever I run out, instead of half the time; or mop the floors myself, without a neat-freak to do it before I get around to it; or go and get flour instead of borrowing someone else's that's sitting in the cabinets - for a more solitary and comfortable life.

I'm a crazy bitch, really. But crazy in a mellow way.

...

Whoa, it's four thirty in the morning, how did that happen. I left this for a while to do other things, and now..it's very late. I guess that's it for tonight. Jeez.

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment