Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weird video gaming.

You know you've gone crazy when you start shipping the members of your Fire Emblem army. Especially when it's like 'Oh my god, Princess Minerva has a fucking awesome axe that destroys armored people, and Barst has a fucking awesome axe that destroys armored people! Let's make them go kill these two knights together! Yay, they killed the knights! They should date or something.' Then their relationship takes a dip. 'Aw man, Minerva's on a dragon; she's always faster than Barst. He won't be able to keep up with her. And besides, she's the princess of Macedon, and he's just a mercenary. My best, but still, he's not a socially acceptable match for her. It'd never work out.' Then it comes to the end of the battle, and, coincidentally, the people in the best positions to attack the boss-dude are Minerva and Barst, and the boss-dude happens to be an armored-person! Then Minerva attacks him and Barst attacks him and he's down, and you take it as a sign that they should be together, even if you were the one orchestrating the whole battle, so it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy..but seriously! You thought it was going to be a difficult one! You were planning on surrounding him with your best fighters, but it turned out all you needed to take him down were the axe-couple.

Or maybe it's just me. Maybe every other person who plays Fire Emblem just plays it, and doesn't dig so deep into the characters..

Whenever a character dies, I either go into a state of shock, start mourning them, or restart the game. Sometimes a combination. I get really upset when I lose one. I talk to them, too. I yell at them. I tell Caeda she's lame and I don't like her very much, but I need to keep her around because Marth loves her, and because sometimes I need her to talk to people so they'll join our army. Or I whine at Abel because I was hoping he'd hit for more damage. And I always congratulate them when they one-shot an opponent, or down a particularly hard foe when they're already at low health.

I think when I play this game I start roleplaying with myself, in my head. I'm so weird.

(I do this when I'm playing Pokemon and Professor Layton, too. I kind of get..absorbed. Freak. The difference is that this game has a bunch of different characters for me to control, and it's totally my fault if they die, and when they die they never ever come back ever unless I restart from the last save point.)

I'm so weird.

Good night.

Olivia

PS. The mentality kind of transfers into WoW, too. Dude and I rerolled Tauren on a random server for kicks, and it's weird being a Hordie, especially in battlegrounds. Suddenly I have the urge to stomp gnomes..

No comments:

Post a Comment