Thursday, January 14, 2010

Drunken party in the next room, list of Things, painting, and other bits of life.

Hey internet. I'm holed up in my room tonight; loud party thing in which I would rather not be involved.

So I've been thinking about it, and it's really not fair that in Eragon, the dragon dies with her rider. Racist. But somehow, if the dragon dies, the human can live. What, because he's stronger? Hah. I understand that Paolini's trying to emphasize the bond between the two, but human supremacy runs rampant in bad (and sometimes good) fantasy. Let the dragon live, I say; make her go insane or feral, perhaps, but let her live.

Bad movie. Anyways. Moving on.

...

Today in my narrative workshop class I made a list of Things I Like, instead of taking notes. (Well, I also took notes, but there weren't many. I also started working on a new story concept. It's kind of a script for a short wordless film. I was partly inspired to do this by Christine, who decided to write one of her own after watching Neil Gaiman's Statuesque. Mine might or might not actually be made, but I'd like to finish writing it anyways.)

Here's the list. I keep adding to it.

Gargoyles.
Keys.
Masquerades.
Masks.
Puppets.
Playing cards.
Tarot cards.
Dice.
Balloons.
Wings.
Ballgowns.
Monsters.
Mirrors.
Puddles.
Statues.
Patterns.
Numbers.
Dragonflies.
Fountain pens.
Ink.
Eggs.
Gemstones.
Plain stones.
Half-humans (mermaids, centaurs, harpies, the like).
Music notes.
Resonance.
Chalk.
Metals.
Glass.
Prisms.
Colors.
Colored lights.
Clocks.
Pocket watches.
Wristwatches.
Magical fishes.
Arrows.
Feathers.
Parchment.
Magnifying glasses.
Telescopes.
Greys.
Peacocks.
Music boxes.
Fire.
Candles.
Flames.
Tribal tattoos.
Reptiles.
Monocles.
Typewriters.
Large cats.
Small cats.
Buttons.
Fairy tales.
Lockets.
Sketchbooks.
Paint chips.

It's not done.

...

Today I had an inexplicable urge to paint. (Me: Ahhhhh I really want to paint for some reason. Other part of me: Then go paint, stupid.) So I set up my easel. Took it down. Slept for half an hour. Set it back up. Got all my painting stuff out. Sat in front of the easel for a very long time thinking about things I could paint. Lit on an idea. Got reference. Started sketch. Got more reference. Finished sketch. Did underpainting. Started uhhh..not-underpainting.

I haven't painted since summer. And this isn't strictly observational; that is, it's not a still-life. We'll see how it goes.

...

It is eleven thirty. There are so many loud drunk people outside my bedroom.

...

Awesome.

...

It's Miyazaki Day in Olivia Land. Started watching Princess Mononoke before class, finished it after class. Watching Spirited Away right now. Might go for Howl's Moving Castle afterwards, depending on whether or not I'm tired.

...

I've noticed something. Since I began my 'real art training' (read: when I got a drawing teacher last August to help me prepare my portfolio, and onwards), I haven't been able to do any of that shitty inventive drawing. All I can do is observational stuff. I'm getting a lot better. But all my 'Yay let's draw dragons and other weird creatures and environments and things' is gone. I guess it's partially a good thing. But I want it back. Maybe I just have to wait until I get better and real shit?

...

Twelve thirty, they're playing loud drunken poker. Or attempting to. One is teaching everyone else.

...

One o'clock. They went off on some drunken adventure.

I'm thinking sleep now, before they come back and be loud again.

Drunk people are only fun when I'm friends with them and can make fun of them,
Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment