Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Something random I started writing about books, and then forgot the point.

I just realized.

The real reason why JK Rowling and (unfortunately) Stephenie Meyer are famous is because they drastically defied fantasy conventions. They made the unreal accessible for this generation; Lord of the Rings was groundbreaking for its time, but now only the purists (read: geeks) have the attention span for Tolkien. I had read about wizard schools and child sorcerers before, but never were they as interesting or did they strike the right balance between life and magic as Harry Potter. And I hate to say this, but teenage girls are far more likely to read about a Mary Sue's wish fulfillment and gorgeous halfbreed boys fighting over her than they would be able to tolerate Dracula.

Okay so I started writing that this morning before class and then went to class and now it's two in the morning and I don't remember where I was going with it..

...

Can't believe tomorrow's the last drawing class. Will miss TM. Will possibly maybe miss staying up late Tuesday nights to finish drawing homework. (Maybe won't.) Anyways. That's what I'm doing now. Good night.

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment